Last week the United Methodist Church met globally for a Leadership Summit. With membership declining steadily over the last several years the denominational leadership hosted a global brainstorming session. Video from the main session was broadcast globally as United Methodists gathered around the world to discuss the issues facing the church today.
Conference Staff Attending The Leadership Summit
The event was nicely done from a technology standpoint. It was an interesting experience to know that we were participating in the same event with United Methodists in the Congo, Germany, Zimbabwe, Liberia and elsewhere all over the world. We all sang the same hymn and prayed the same prayer, regardless of timezones. It was a great experience. I hope we do more presentations like this in the future.
This is one of the reasons why I think that all of our churches should create a technology budget for their leadership. All of our pastors need access to modern computer equipment and smart phones. These devices will help our clergy become more connected with each other, the annual conferences and the general boards and agencies.
Yesterday afternoon we had a rather unexpected visitor. A large tornado touched down about two miles from home and moved quickly past. It hit Southeast Raleigh and then moved on to the northeast. The tornado was so close that I could hear it out on the front porch. That was not a sound I ever care to hear again. We were very fortunate that we received no damage from the passing storm. Many of our neighbors a few miles away were not so fortunate.
In honor of the WordPress 5k that will be taking place this weekend I gathered several of the Conference Staff together for our own event. We met up at the end of the day yesterday and completed our own informal 5k race. Some ran and some walked (including me) but we all finished and had a great time. Thanks WordPress for challenging the people who use your software to get out and exercise with you!
The company that produces WordPress (Automattic) is hosting a Worldwide 5k. With 80 employees living in 62 cities it is very difficult to put together a group event. To get all of their employees moving on the same day they decided to challenge everyone to run, walk, swim or bike 3.1 miles on the same day. They even challenged the people that use their software to do the same!
Since we have all been wearing pedometers (and exercising this year) this would be an excellent time for fellowship. You can pick up around 4,500 steps or so as well as enjoy some time outside with your peers. The Information Technology Office would like to invite everyone to meet up with us at the Conference Office at 4:45 PM on Wednesday April 6th, 2011. We will leave from the front of the building at 5 PM and walk twice around the block (map of the route below). Twice around this loop is approximately 3.5 miles. You should budget about an hour to complete the track if you are walking. It’s a little further than a 5k but what’s a few tenths of a mile amongst friends?
Walking With WordPress 5k Route
Some things to note:
- We will be taking a group photograph before we leave.
- You do not have to walk with us during the event but you do have to move at least 3.1 miles on that day.
- Even if you are exercising elsewhere please consider showing up for the group photo.
- You can perform any type of exercise as long as you complete the 5k. You can run on a treadmill, bike indoors or outdoors, swim laps, run or jog or walk as long as you hit the mileage requirement. If you decide to exercise elsewhere be sure to let me know so I can keep track of how many people are participating.
- ALL are welcome! I’m sure there will be enough adults to help watch any children that want to participate.
- You do not have to walk with the group around the track. If you choose to run or bike the track we will happily wave as you lap us. Photographic evidence of your exercise and/or a description of your individual exercise would make the blog very happy.
- Rain out day will be Friday April 8th.
- We need a volunteer time keeper to hand out times as people finish the course. I am currently accepting applications for this position. Please send references and salary requirements to me directly.
If you plan to attend please fill out this registration form:
You can find out more here: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/automattic%E2%80%99s-worldwide-wp-5k/.