The New (Old) Me
In January of this year my office started a walking program. We were all issued pedometers and started off on a long journey together. I decided I would go all in and try my best to work hard and lose as much weight as I could.
Fast forward six months: I have walked, hiked, jogged, roller skated and swam over 300 miles in about 100 hours. I completed my first 5k race and am looking for others. I have lost 32 pounds and am working to lose another 18 or so. In short, I feel great! I’m working to get back down to my weight back in my high school/college days.
While I was at annual conference this year a friend of mine snapped this picture. I don’t think it really hit home until I saw this just how far I have come. I have a ways to go from here but I am a lot closer than I was in the beginning. I’ll be writing another blog post soon (hopefully!) that explains how I have come so far. I keep getting asked that question so I will answer it here. I’ve gotta go for now though, it’s time for another run!
In honor of the WordPress 5k that will be taking place this weekend I gathered several of the Conference Staff together for our own event. We met up at the end of the day yesterday and completed our own informal 5k race. Some ran and some walked (including me) but we all finished and had a great time. Thanks WordPress for challenging the people who use your software to get out and exercise with you!
The company that produces WordPress (Automattic) is hosting a Worldwide 5k. With 80 employees living in 62 cities it is very difficult to put together a group event. To get all of their employees moving on the same day they decided to challenge everyone to run, walk, swim or bike 3.1 miles on the same day. They even challenged the people that use their software to do the same!
Since we have all been wearing pedometers (and exercising this year) this would be an excellent time for fellowship. You can pick up around 4,500 steps or so as well as enjoy some time outside with your peers. The Information Technology Office would like to invite everyone to meet up with us at the Conference Office at 4:45 PM on Wednesday April 6th, 2011. We will leave from the front of the building at 5 PM and walk twice around the block (map of the route below). Twice around this loop is approximately 3.5 miles. You should budget about an hour to complete the track if you are walking. It’s a little further than a 5k but what’s a few tenths of a mile amongst friends?
Walking With WordPress 5k Route
Some things to note:
- We will be taking a group photograph before we leave.
- You do not have to walk with us during the event but you do have to move at least 3.1 miles on that day.
- Even if you are exercising elsewhere please consider showing up for the group photo.
- You can perform any type of exercise as long as you complete the 5k. You can run on a treadmill, bike indoors or outdoors, swim laps, run or jog or walk as long as you hit the mileage requirement. If you decide to exercise elsewhere be sure to let me know so I can keep track of how many people are participating.
- ALL are welcome! I’m sure there will be enough adults to help watch any children that want to participate.
- You do not have to walk with the group around the track. If you choose to run or bike the track we will happily wave as you lap us. Photographic evidence of your exercise and/or a description of your individual exercise would make the blog very happy.
- Rain out day will be Friday April 8th.
- We need a volunteer time keeper to hand out times as people finish the course. I am currently accepting applications for this position. Please send references and salary requirements to me directly.
If you plan to attend please fill out this registration form:
You can find out more here: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/automattic%E2%80%99s-worldwide-wp-5k/.